Tuesday, January 15, 2013

DON'T DROOP

The 'D' sound, the Double D sound, of Don't Droop.  I like it.  It is very Positive.  It gives you a little coaching, a prod, so to speak, of what to do.  It is a good thing.  Think of Beethoven's Ninth.  There is steady progress in those famous notes. And from someone of my generation, one has a cartoon mouse or Sylvester the Cat, creeping by and hiding behind various things to break free to their objective.

But, I must give you the exact quote from which this DON'T DROOP insight (developing and fading) arrived.  I just received thru delivery my Cuisinart Hand Blender with Whisk and Chopper Attachment.  Let me first say: Sweet.  I know the rest of you have had blenders and processors and such things before.  I have only had 'experiences', and startling one's at that.  So, without expanding on those experiences, let me get right to the most exquisite instruction I have ever experienced.  The Countess Dowager on Downton Abbey would tilt her head and smile and Wink, I am sure....

BEATING EGG WHITES

"When beating egg whites use a very clean metal or glass bowl, never plastic.  Plastic can contain hidden oils and fats that can ruin the delicate egg white foam.  To help stabilize the egg whites add 1/8 teaspoon of cream of tartar per egg white prior to beating them. (If using a copper bowl omit the cream of tartar.)  Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form that do not droop.  Beating the egg whites longer causes them to dry out and become even less stable.  When adding sugar to beaten egg whites add it slowly when soft peaks just begin to form and then continue beating to form soft peaks that don't droop."

If that isn't the High Mass of sweet, clear and helpful instruction, with no deflation or fear, I don't know what is.  And, I did buy a can of Solo Poppy Seed Filling to make their Bundt Cake, because I have sour cream left from Christmas, and it must be used.  And, further, I have the wonderful bundt pan that contains six smaller bundts flowers, and enough left over for a small loaf. (I think I gave that away)


No comments:

Post a Comment