Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saint Anthony of Padua



This is an etching, or engraving, of Saint Anthony that was always hanging on my Grandparents wall.   It was from the Saint Anthony of Padua Society of Philadelphia, and dates from the 1930's.

The gold leaf frame broke last year, and I couldn't get it fixed.  It is so delicate.  Plus, with my exhaustion, I lose fine motor control in my hand.  I need to have it all together to bring things back in an archival manner.   This needs some attention to the foxing, and I have already cleaned the glass, and have acid free paper, parchment and double sided tape, but I will have to attempt it in the morning when I am rested.  I now know where everything is, have assembled them, and am ready to commence the operation to begin the beguine.

But, I looked up The Saint Anthony Society, and find it is celebrated all over the world, and Saint Anthony was beloved by the poor.  He gave them hope and rewarded their faith and patience.  He gave them a break from their worries.  Grandmother prayed to him so much, the neighbors thought she had a servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment